November 16, 2006

Online Data Storage

I bet you've heard this before: "Can I borrow a floppy disk; I promise I'll return it tomorrow." Or more recently... "Where is the USB port? I have to save my paper on my flash drive."

Instead of floppies or flash drives, why not direct your patrons to online storage accounts? There are many, many companies that offer online storage - for free!

If your patron already has a Yahoo account, direct him or her to briefcase.yahoo.com, where it is possible to save 30 MB of data in a free account.

Box.net is another online storage company to try. Registered users can save 1 GB for free.

Individuals with Google accounts can save Word and Excel documents in Google Docs & Spreadsheets.

By the way, online storage is a great way of backing up your important files, too!